Breaking Bad
Cheers!
The Swimmer
The Swimmer

January 2020
December 2019

The Swimmer

I was in lane two when I first encountered the swimmer.

Lane one by the wall is my favorite lane because it has more space for me to do my stretches every ten laps, but that particular after-work swim to de-stress had me swimming in lane two to avoid the ‘circle’ swim that every swimmer knows about and avoids out of impatience and desire of personal space for ‘his’ or ‘her’ own lane.  My prescription goggles were foggy. I was underwater, slammed my hand against the wall, and just broke the surface to try to catch my breath when I heard the swimmer exclaim: “You certainly know what you are doing!”

I pulled off my goggles and squinted.  With my horrific eyesight without my glasses, all I could make out was an elderly gentleman who looked in his mid to late 70’s.  He was completely bald.  He was slim and well-built with certainly less love handles than me.  He had a big grin that revealed gaps of missing teeth.  His eyes shined like a young and excited child discovering something wondrous and wonderful.

He exclaimed happily: “You are a good swimmer!  You must do this a lot!”

I was uncharacteristically awkward and wordless. It is unspoken swimmer rule that swimmers do not stop for small talk in the middle of vigorous and driven laps.  He was breaking the unspoken swimmer rules.  I uncomfortably gave him a half smile and nod alongside my squint and said, “Uhmm…thanks.”

Back under the water I went.  However, each time I came up for air, the swimmer boomed joyfully, “You know what you are doing!  You must do this a lot!  You are a good swimmer!”

I started to get annoyed.   I knew I should not have been annoyed.  He was so endearing, sweet, and clearly just being friendly, but my swim strokes were slower and sloppier because he kept interrupting me.  When I stopped shyly thanking him for his compliments, he slipped under water swimming slowly, steadily, and smoothly like a graceful gazelle.

When I left the pool grumpy that I had a slower swim, he said with his huge smile, “I’ll see you again!  Keep up the great work!”

For three weeks, I kept encountering the swimmer.   I began to notice little things about him.   He wore dark blue trunks and black sandals that he would dip into the pool.    It took him up to 30 minutes or more of when I was about to leave the pool for him to even get into the pool.   He paced back and forth on the pool deck.  He then paced back and forth on the steps into the pool.  He always came with his aide who barely even looked at him because she was so busy with flying fingers texting on her cell phone.  Every now and then, the aide’s head popped up from the phone to encourage or scold the swimmer, “Get in the water!  It is good for you!”  or “Don’t wear your sandals into the pool!  You have to go into the pool with bare feet!”   Most of all, I noticed that other swimmers stayed away from him.  Just like I had.  We had been in such a rush to get our swim routines over and done with so we could return to our other menial and supposedly necessary tasks that we had ignored and excluded him.  I was ashamed.

20 Comments to The Swimmer:

https://www.resumesservicesreview.com/resumewritinggroup-com-review/ on Saturday, November 30, 2019 9:25 AM
Your story with the swimmer mirrors what is happening in the world outside the pool. People are busy doing their thing, making sure to do it right to achieve our desired outcome that we never the other people around us. When other people have the nerve to talk to us while in the middle of what is keeping us busy, we get annoyed. We get annoyed at people who we assume is keeping us from what is keeping us occupied. Like in the story, there are people like the swimmer who are experiencing personal struggles but remains positive by being jovial and friendly to other people. This is why we can't simply ignore people we encounter because giving our time, a short time of it, can impact their lives significantly.

essayacademia on Tuesday, December 03, 2019 7:12 AM
The story which you shared here is a really good experienced theme, it is a really good one.

http://bosq-iman-osrecords.blogspot.com/2 on Monday, December 09, 2019 11:45 PM

h on Monday, December 09, 2019 11:46 PM

Installateur zonnepanelen on Tuesday, December 10, 2019 7:22 AM
We are tied directly into the sate’s renewal database which allows us to process your request almost instantly.

Airco on Tuesday, December 10, 2019 7:22 AM
Writing with style and getting good compliments on the article is quite hard, to be honest.But you've done it so calmly and with so cool feeling and you've nailed the job. This article is possessed with style and I am giving good compliment. Best!

http://www.campbell on Monday, December 16, 2019 8:13 AM

http://www.north-staffords on Monday, December 16, 2019 8:13 AM

http://www.staredit.net/profile/52881/ on Tuesday, December 17, 2019 11:20 AM
cool thanks for reis posting! btw are there feeds to your blog? I’d love to add them to my reader http://www.staredit.net/profile/52881/

https://www.recipefy.com/timothydharmon on Tuesday, December 17, 2019 11:21 AM
Hello, you used to write fantastic articles, but the last several posts have been kinda lackluster… I miss your great articles. Past several posts are just a little out of track! https://www.recipefy.com/timothydharmon

http://www.directoareweb.net/index on Friday, December 20, 2019 8:04 AM

http://serendipity-business-club.ro/partener on Friday, December 20, 2019 8:04 AM

CHRONIC PAIN on Friday, January 03, 2020 11:03 AM

192.168.0.1 on Sunday, January 05, 2020 11:37 AM
Je voudrais lire à ce sujet plus. Prompt, ce que la littérature pour étudier?

Watch Oscars 2020 Awards Online on Thursday, January 09, 2020 5:27 PM
Oscars 2020 will air on February. This is why all the fans need to know all about Oscars 2020 Live Streaming and so on. For this reason we will give you many information about Oscars 2020. This is the time to know about it. It’s the hottest ticket in the Hollywood calendar, the night when the biggest movie stars on the planet get together to celebrate the best the industry had to offer over the previous year.

Ireland vs Scotland Six Nation Rugby Online on Thursday, January 09, 2020 5:40 PM
Ireland will face Scotland will air on during the opening weekend of the 2020 Six Nations Championship. The winner of this match will be presented with the Centenary Quaich, which was first awarded in 1989 and was most recently won by Ireland following their 22-13 victory over Scotland during the 2020 Championship. Ireland also beat Scotland 27-3 at the Rugby World Cup in Japan.

Watch England vs France Six Nation Live on Thursday, January 09, 2020 6:30 PM
England vs France match will air on February. A hat-trick of tries from Jonny May helped England to a 44-8 victory over Les Bleus during the 2019 Championship. France and England have contested a total of 105 rugby test matches since their first meeting in 1906. England have won 58 of those matches, whilst France have won 40 matches. There have also been seven drawn matches between the two nations.

SAG Awards 2020 Live Online on Wednesday, January 15, 2020 6:31 AM
SAG Awards 2020 Is The Popular Event. It Is Not Only USA But Also All Over The World.SAG Awards 2020 Live Online But, Every fan Can’t Enjoy The Event By sitting on the Venue. There Is Only 93,607 Set For The Ordnance. So, Every Body Can’t Enjoy This Event at the Venue. As It Is Popular In World Wide, Everyone Want’s To Enjoy From Others Country. For Them, There Are Many Playstation who will telecast SAG Awards 2020 Live Streaming. Those Like AMC, Fubotv, DirecTV Now, Sling TV, YouTube TV, Hulu TV and many more.

Watch Wales vs Ireland Free Live on Wednesday, January 15, 2020 5:53 PM
Wales vs Ireland is going to be the Greatest Event In this year 2020. In The Event, famous stars will be an amazing experience for you, your friends and family. I hope you get all the information about Wales vs Ireland Live Streaming from our site

Scotland vs England Rugby Online on Wednesday, January 15, 2020 6:50 PM
Scotland and England played the first ever International rugby match in 1871. They have now contested a total of 137 rugby test matches against each other. England have won 75 of those matches, whilst Scotland have won 43 matches. There have also been 19 drawn matches between the two nations.