Band-Aid
I Love You
Home
It Could be Me
The Locksmith

Gold

The countdown is down the wire of a week now.

I will be in hot and sizzling Houston, Texas for the Transplant Games of America.  I will finally return to my ‘home’ where I really belong.  My familiar transplant buddies and honored organ donor families and living donors will warm my heart and spirit once again.  I will meet with new faces, hear their stories, and embrace and love them already just because of our unbreakable common bond in transplantation.

And, yes, I am going for the gold.

This 2014 year, I signed up as a swim competitor in 100 free, 50 free, and team relay medley.  As soon as I registered, I made a beeline for the “Club Fit” gym I am a member of to locate a personal trainer/coach to assess my swimming and strength skills.

Mind you, back in 2012 for the first Transplant Games of America that I competed in, I had an outstanding swim coach who patiently tried to work with my temperamental and pre-hip replaced body.  I ended up bed-ridden for two days.  Needless to say, I was leery and edgy that my body would flip out on me yet again. But, my curiosity to test out my new hipper and normal body surpassed any qualms.  My brand new hipper had given me a brand new lease and appreciation on the quality of living and life relatively pain-free.  It was time I put some faith in my body and myself again.

My blonde-haired and statuesque swim coach and I reunited again.  I flashbacked to two years ago when I was bed-bound after no more than five swim sessions with her.  I remembered the flippers and the comment that I “swam like a guy” with powerful upper body strength, but weak lower body strength because all my chronic pain issues were from the lower back and below.  I was scared that my body would betray me again.

My swim coach behaved like two years ago never existed.  There were no flippers and kickboards.  There was only my body in a colorful swimsuit, my purple flip flops, prescription goggles, and a tight swim cap that squashed my head.

She laid it out for me from day one of our training two months ago just like this, “We are going to work on strengthening your legs, core, and shoulders.  We are going to do gym training and swim training.  When it comes to your swim training, remember elbows up and constant kicking.  When it comes to entire training and in personal life, belly button needs to be in to strengthen your core.”

Training began.

These past two months, I’ve done planks, push-ups, weight-lifting, and balancing in the gym area and then constant kicking and arm drills in the water.   I waited in nervous anticipation for my finicky body to knock me out and leave me bed-bound again, but it didn’t.  Rather, my body responded that I was stronger than I could have ever imagined.  I was stunned at what my body was capable of now that I had a new hip replaced.  Sure, there were days that my body was in aching pain, but it was much more tolerable that it was yeras ago.  I began to watch what I ate and ate little meals throughout the day.  In the process of all this training, I lost 10 pounds and gained confidence and trust in my body that I never believed I could or would ever have.

I could do anything and everything.  The impossible was possible.  I felt like gold.  I feel like gold.

And, then, came the “dolphin swim” technique that my coach apparently felt like my body was ready for.   As I was freezing and shaking in the swimming pool and struggling to listen to her, my coach explained to me, “Swimming techniques have evolved over the years, and it was found that when swimmers swim like dolphins of doing a half roll to their body that they swim faster and endure longer.   It is almost like your body is doing a side stroke from side to side.  Try it.”

For the past twenty years, I had been swimming a certain way to compensate for my vulnerable lower “below the equator” body.  Suddenly, my coach was saying that I had to go against these twenty years and learn what I was not sure that my new body was capable of.  For the first ten minutes or more, my mind was a metronome of ongoing thoughts if I was getting my arms at the right angle, if I was doing a side stroke, and more.  I struggled and spit up water.  My arms flailed and my lower back began to throb.

I cringed under the water and thought, “Here we go again.  My body is going to flip out on me.  Please don’t.  Please don’t.”

My coach was yelling at me while I was underwater.  I popped my head up for air and she said to me: “You are thinking too much about the strokes.  You are going too fast.  You need to slow down and stop thinking!”

I gulped.  That was always my problem.  I thought too much.  I worried on overload.  I needed an off-switch to my body.  I shut my eyes and tried to truly feel the salt and chlorine-infused water that wrapped around me.  And, I slowly reached my left arm and did somewhat of a roll with my right side.  Then, I did the same with the right side.  Something suddenly clicked in my body.  And, off I went.

When I came up for air again, my coach was practically beaming and grinning ear to ear.  She simply said, “You got it.”

I glowed with golden and unexplainable joy.  I had never felt more liberated and strong in my life.  I had never had so much faith and trust in my body than I did right then and there.

A couple weeks have passed since my mental, physical and spiritual triumph with getting the basics of “Dolphin Swim” technique.  I’m still working on my elbows and shoulders to come up along with my constant motor kicking.  I’m now falling in love with strength-training. I’m learning and doing things I never thought I could do.  My body has not flipped out like it did before, but there are recent days that the pain is bad that I am reminded of all I had to endure for years and that I am still in my ‘gold’ period of trying to balance myself out in every respect.  All of this is frightening and invigorating at the same time.

I often reflect on the constant changes that are occurring now in my personal and professional lives and how my new body and I are truly one in trying to adjust.  There is still particles of fear in me that my body will react with fury, and I remember what my faithful osteopath said to me soon after my hip replacement surgery,

“There will come a time when you won’t be scared anymore, Mary.  You will be moved around or jostled around at work and in your personal life, and something will just click in you and your body that you don’t have to be afraid anymore.  You won’t have to depend or try to control the uncontrollable with minute details.  You won’t worry about your body.  You will adjust and trust your body in every and any situation. ”

I’m realizing that that golden time is happening now.  And, nothing is more ‘gold’ than the learning curve and simply now.

Transplant Games of America, here I come!

Keep smilin’,

Mary ;-)

21 Comments to Gold:

Have A Peek At THIS Web-Site on Wednesday, August 27, 2014 5:23 PM
Warum gehst du nicht tun ein wenig Analyse von sich selbst sie selbst?Nie Kaum je Wette aus gegen ein Streifen.

sklep z alkomatami on Friday, September 05, 2014 6:03 AM
Window design will be draw for your, shades, blinds or possibly blinds Innovative machines in addition to equipment In case the kitchen area is to position not simply the convenience as well as decent looks

sklep z alkomatami on Saturday, September 06, 2014 6:08 AM
There will be fallible terms when compared to the pics because special canvas can be also does not even will need confrontation, as well as place instructions a thorough renovation

Solid Waste Treatment on Wednesday, October 15, 2014 11:28 AM
This is absolute gold. I was not expecting that I’d get so much out of reading your write up! You’ve just got yourself a returning visitor

Stock Trading Tips on Tuesday, October 21, 2014 5:12 AM
Such a nice blog post you have done here.Nice and useful post you have posted here its very messaging to society just loved the way you have served your blog .

telicando marafecco on Thursday, October 30, 2014 6:16 PM
Es koennte sagte mit aus a Frage, dass Online-Sportwetten gibt es zu bleiben. Wie gut viele Rookies in Bezug auf Entscheidung ueber das Beste und so aktivieren auf ihrer eigenen zu werden ueber versichern von a massiven reward Auszahlung.

profil on Sunday, January 25, 2015 4:42 AM
This tools are most effective warming up the particular customary sorts of heat If your own personal aufenthaltsraum is without a doubt roomy, you can choose to decorating, standing upright hanger

MCX Trading Tips on Thursday, June 04, 2015 4:04 AM
I simply want to say I am just apprentice to blogging and site-building and really loved you’re web blog. Most likely I’m going to bookmark your website. You truly have impressive articles. Bless you for sharing with us your website page.

car title loans on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 11:55 AM
This Is Part 6 From Our '20 Proven Ways To Repair Your Bad Credit' Series! This Is Just One Of The 20 Tips, But Please Make Sure That You Read Them All! Find How To Repair Your Bad Credit With These Powerful 20 Tips!

cash advance on Thursday, July 09, 2015 6:46 PM
With common ammunition costs hinting at no awkward their advancement adjustment at any point in the abreast future, abundant individuals accept absitively on the animation of biking as an option. There is anxiously the affair of wellbeing, yet afresh best bikers accord a altercation that with such an accession in the abundance of autos, these abstracts close the way that accepted a far added arresting cardinal of autos are included in mishaps.

check cashing on Sunday, November 22, 2015 4:22 AM
of praised moneylenders, it will enable you in continuing with separated abettor bicycle propels with more crucial assention and conditions.You like in faddy motorbikes. You yearning to gaining a motorbike, included with dangerous turn sorts of headway.

Bullion Trading Tips on Tuesday, November 24, 2015 2:21 AM
I really appreciate your blog. Nice and very knowledgeable post. Thank you for sharing a wonderful post.

car title loans chicago on Sunday, December 13, 2015 5:21 PM
Along these about-face he will see the adjustment to actually apperceive the accent of banknote he requires to accepting the bicycle. Ashamed he has the banknote interfacing by through the bike prompts, about the day's end no one can addle him into impacting any costlier game-plan.

Stock Cash Tips on Monday, July 25, 2016 8:40 AM
Very informative post. I really happy after reading this post. Thank you for sharing wonderful post.

Best Advisory Company on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 8:18 AM
I must say very informative points you shared on gold, I like the way you tied all the information about trading. Looking forward for more post related to gold.

MCX HNI Tips on Friday, September 23, 2016 4:41 AM
Informative article about gold. Found many new points about gold.

Best Stock Advisory on Saturday, December 17, 2016 5:43 AM
I like the way you tied all the details about gold

Stock Cash Premium on Saturday, January 21, 2017 4:13 AM
Accurate knowledge you shared here

Top IT Company in India on Friday, April 07, 2017 3:37 AM
Thanks for the post.

Free MCX Market Tips on Friday, April 14, 2017 8:51 AM
This is good for all traders and reliable for new investors. In time gold market has very fluctuated compare to silver. It fully depends on the economic condition of the market and its movements.

Free Equity Market Tips on Monday, October 23, 2017 8:50 AM
I would like to thank you for the great and informative entry.really liked the way you put together everything.there is certainly no need to go any further to look any additional information.you mentioned each and everything that too with much of ease.